CPD Approved Events
Psychiatrists: Search the Events Calendar if you would like to know how many external CPD credits have been awarded for a particular meeting, course or event.
Automatic Recognition of some events for External CPD:
- External CPD credits approved by the medical training bodies in Ireland (Royal College of Surgeons, Royal College of Physicians, College of Anaesthetists, Irish College of General Practitioners) are automatically recognised by the College of Psychiatrists of Ireland. Ensure you receive a Certificate of Attendance stating the External CPD credits awarded. You do not need to apply to the CPsychI for CPD approval or a CPD certificate. External CPD credits can be claimed subject to the guidelines below.
- EACCME accredited meetings – if you receive a certificate of attendance which enumerates EACCME credits, you do not need to apply to the CPsychI for CPD approval or a CPD certificate. EACCME credits can be claimed as External CPD credits subject to the guidelines below.
- The following are some established psychiatric conferences / international meetings which are recognised by the CPsychI for external CPD, subject to the guidelines below. You do not need to apply to the CPsychI for approval or a CPD certificate for these meetings.
- American Psychiatric Association (APA) annual conferences
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) annual meetings
- British Association of Psychopharmacology (BAP) annual meetings
- European College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ECNP) annual conferences
- European Psychiatric Association (EPA) annual conferences
- European Society for Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (ESCAP) conferences
- International Psychogeriatric Association (IPA) conferences
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP) meetings and conferences
- Royal College of Psychiatrists (RCPsych) meetings, courses and conferences
- The Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health (ACAMH) meetings and conferences
- World Psychiatric Association (WPA) annual conferences
Guidelines for Automatic recognition of CPD
- 1 External credit per hour of learning activity up to a maximum of 8 External CPD credits per day may be claimed for attendance at meetings / conferences / courses run by the approved organisations. A maximum of 15 External CPD credits overall may be claimed for meetings / courses / events centred on a single topic running over a number of days. Further hours can be logged as Personal CPD credits.
- Certificates of attendance must be retained as evidence of participation.
- External CPD credits cannot be claimed for any sessions or satellite symposia with pharma sponsorship. Attendances at any such sessions can be claimed as personal CPD credits.
- External CPD activities should be related to the doctor’s scope of practice.
- It is recommended that doctors make a reflective note indicating the learning achieved, when logging CPD credits. Reflective notes can be made on the online CPD Diary (click the icon beside where the number of credits is entered) or as a physical note to be kept with CPD records.
Recognition of other events for external CPD
If you attended an educational event which was not approved for CPD and is not included in (1), (2), or (3) above, and you wish to apply for external CPD credits, please complete the Individual CPD Approval App Form and return it to us with the required information. The application will be reviewed and if approved, you will be issued with a CPD certificate.