Benefits of membership
The College of Psychiatrists of Ireland is recognised by the Medical Council, Health Service Executive and Department of Health as the body responsible for education, training and standards in psychiatry in Ireland. The College actively promotes the funding and delivery of the recommendations of A Vision for Change and acts to protect people with mental health problems from cuts to funding and staffing levels.
The benefits of membership include but are not limited to:
- The right to use the post-nominal Member of the College of Psychiatrists of Ireland, MCPsychI after your name, and to describe yourself as a member of the College of Psychiatrists of Ireland. (applies only to those who have passed the College of Psychiatrists of Ireland Exam from July 2011 or MRCPsych (or equivalent) prior to July 2011)
- Eligibility to participate in faculty activities – opportunity to meet colleagues, network and contribute to the development of your specialty.
- The opportunity to join Special Interest Groups.
- The opportunity to influence and contribute to College activities and to contribute to the work of the College and promote legislative change.
- Non Consultant Psychiatrists are eligible to sit on the Trainee Committee and its sub-committees who are very active in working with the College on improving standards in postgraduate training and recruitment.
- Preferred rates for registration fees for academic meetings, training courses and any other College activities which carry a registration fee.
- Notification of upcoming events and conferences relating to psychiatry in Ireland.
- Eligibility to vote at Faculty Elections and elections for College Officers.
- Eligibility to stand for election to key leadership roles within the College (not applicable to those who have not yet completed training).
- Access to the members area on College website with useful resources
- College Newsletter – keeping you up to date with the latest developments in mental healthcare, new appointments, policy consultation and new publications.
- Telephone support for interacting with the media available on request.
- Use of the boardroom in Herbert Street equipped with complimentary wi-fi (subject to availability)
- Receipt of and online access to all issues of IJPM – Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine
- College diary
- Invite to CPsychI AGM and EGM (Post-Exam, General, Retired & Full-Specialist Members)
- Members can request any vacant posts to be advertised on the CPsychI classified ads webpage
Interns and Students
Medical Interns and students are entitled to membership of the college free of charge.
The benefits of Student membership include:
- Emailed CPsychI E-Bulletin
- Emailed Quarterly NCHD Newsletter
- Notification of upcoming events including The Spike Milligan Public Speaking Competition
- Full access to CPsychI Moodle based learning
- Invitation to the Annual Careers Evening for Medical Students
- Information on the application process for Training Schemes and annual recruitment
- Invitation to submit to the Annual Medical Student Essay Prize Competition
- Invitation to submit an abstract for consideration for display as a poster at the Winter and Spring Conference.
Interns enjoy the same benefits as students with the addition of:
- Preferred rates for registration fees for the CPsychI Winter and Spring Conference
- College Diary
- Receipt of or online access to all issues of the IJPM – Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine