This Fact sheet is aimed at mental health professionals and aims to address 20 Frequently Asked Questions about cannabis. Cannabis and cannabis-based products are becoming more widespread within Ireland. People who use the mental health services, both children and adults are at higher vulnerability to the harms of cannabis use therefore Irish mental health professionals should be familiar with these risks especially as the perception of cannabis as a harmless substance and the amount of misleading information about cannabis has increased in recent years.
- Cannabis is the mostly commonly used illegal drug in Ireland
- Cannabis is easily available in Ireland including high potency versions
- Cannabis adversely affects mental health
- Young people who use high potency cannabis regularly are at highest risk of harms
- Cannabis can be additive
- Cannabis and cannabis products are not evidence-based treatments for mental illness
- Cannabis use is associated with many social and educational problems