The College is recruiting for the role of Communications Assistant
The College of Psychiatrist of Ireland is recruiting for the role of Communications Assistant
The College of Psychiatrists of Ireland is the sole body recognised by the Medical Council and the HSE for the training of doctors to become specialists in psychiatry and for the continuing assurance of the career long competence of specialists in psychiatry. The Mission of the College of Psychiatrists of Ireland is to promote excellence in the practice of psychiatry including advocating for modern fit for purpose Mental Health Services.
Reporting directly to the Manager Communications, External Affairs & Policy (EAP) Department, and working with the Communications and Policy Officer, the Communications Assistant plays a key role in supporting the delivery of the College Communication Strategy, EAP activity and publishing the College journal (Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine).
Undertaking a wide range of tasks to support the Manager in the smooth running of the activity of the EAP department and events, the Communications Assistant will also act as editorial assistant for the College journal and administer responsibilities generated by committees related to the department. A key part of the role is supporting the Communication and Policy Officer, internal communications (to membership), stakeholder relations activities and media relations by contributing to the posting and preparation of communication material including on digital communication platforms.
The successful applicant will ideally have at least 1-2 years’ experience in a similar role, will be enthusiastic, proactive, have a mature attitude, be proficient in Microsoft Office applications and experience with ICT.
Primary responsibilities will be to assist in following areas of the Department – EAP activities, events, media liaison, digital communication and the College Journal (IJPM):
- Administration of College Journal, IJPM (Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine) with Cambridge University Press and the editor.
- Implementing key communication activities with the team
- Support with media communication, writing and issuing press releases and.
- Co-ordinate and administer committees
- Support the coordination and management of digital content for the College website, members’ eBulletin and social media (mainly Twitter) including recording & editing video and sound material.
- Assist the EAP Manager with the Department tasks and activities including public and member events.
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum 1-2 years’ experience in a similar role.
- A relevant 3rd level qualification.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – written and verbal including integrity with sensitive information and ability to relate professionally to a wide variety of experts in mental health and internal team members.
- Experience with and knowledge of Microsoft products – Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
- Website content management skill preferably WordPress.
- Experience with and knowledge of social media and digital marketing.
- Good organizational skills with good standard of planning, attention to detail, ability to multi task and work to deadlines.
- Ability to work on one’s own initiative but as part of a team and to take direction from more than one source at times.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and good judgement in matters of College policy and procedure.
- Flexibility around working hours in response to the varying demands of the role.
- Support with scheduling and planning meetings.
- Some event management experience
- Having an interest and or general knowledge in mental health and psychiatry
This role will be based in the College offices in Dublin at 5 Herbert Street on an initial 12 month contract subject to review.
Interested applicants should email their Curriculum Vitae with a covering letter supporting your application to firstname.lastname@example.org